Joined CCOP: 2006 (Original founding member of CCOP)
- Deputy Chief of Patrol – Patrol Division
- Vice Chairperson of the Board of Advisers – Administrative Division
- Director of Volunteer Training, Certification & Emergency Services Liaison
- Knight Commander of the venerable Castro Order (KCCO)
CCOP Awards / Recognition:
- 15 year Continuous Service Pin 2021
- 10 year Continuous Service Pin 2016
- Founding Member Plaque 2016
- Outstanding Dedication 10 years Trophy 2016
- Outstanding Volunteer Commendation Bar 2014 (OVC)
- Outstanding Service Commendation Bar 2013 (OSC)
- Training Instructor Commendation Bar 2013
- 5 year Continuous Service Pin 2012
- Certificate of Appreciation 2008
Other Awards & Recognition:
- 10/21/2018 – Certificate of Appreciation – SFPD Auxiliary Law Enforcement Response Team
- 01/27/2017 – Certificate of Recognition – California State Senate
- 01/27/2017 – Certificate of Recognition – California State Assembly
- 01/27/2017 – Certificate of Honor – Mayor, City and County of San Francisco
- 01/27/2017 – Certificate of Honor – City Assessor – Recorder, City and County of San Francisco
- 01/27/2017 – Exemplary ALERT Leadership Trophy – Neighborhood Empowerment Network
- 10/02/2016 – Certificate of Recognition – California State Senate
- 07/12/2014 – Certificate of Completion – Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigations Citizens Academy
- 12/18/2013 – Certificate of Completion – SFPD Citizens Academy
- 04/13/2013 – Certificate of Completion – SFPD Auxiliary Law Enforcement Response Team
- 12/16/2012 – Certificate of Sainthood – Order of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence as St. Serve and Protect of the Castro Beat (St.SPBC)
- 06/18/2012 – Certificate of Recognition – San Francisco District Attorney
- 05/31/2012 – Certificate of Recognition – Safety Awareness For Everyone
- 05/31/2012 – Certificate of Recognition – California State Assembly
- 11/02/2008 – Certificate of Recognition – Safety Awareness For Everyone
Ken is one of the original founding members of Castro Community On Patrol, and the only founding member who remains actively involved with the organization as a volunteer and Patroller.
As a Grand Master instructor of martial arts and head of Triangle Martial Arts Association when CCOP was being formed in mid 2006, Ken was asked to attend and speak at the very first public meeting at Joe’s Barber Shop on 17th Street in the Castro. Shortly after that meeting an organizing group was formed and Ken was asked to develop the volunteer training materials for a walking safety patrol. The training content and concept was then approved by the San Francisco Police Department and by SF Safety Awareness For Everyone (SAFE) who remain our fiscal sponsors. Ken led the very first volunteer training class for CCOP on November 11, 2006 certifying the first 23 volunteers for patrol, and he has conducted most subsequent volunteer training class since then as our director of Volunteer Training and Certification for CCOP.
Ken was born and raised in Scotland in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland – making him both Scottish and British (which confuses many people.) He joined the Corps of Royal Military Police at 17 1/2, a part of the British Army. When he left the military he worked at the Royal Navy Nuclear Submarine Base, at Faslane in Scotland during their Trident nuclear missile expansion, and subsequently at the Royal Naval Armaments Depot in Coulport also in Scotland. He later worked as a lead systems engineer at the Nuclear Electric, Pressure Water Reactor project in Knutsford, England; at Allegehney Power in Pittsburg, PA; at AIL Defense Systems on the B1 bomber project on Long Island, NY; at Exxon Company USA in Benecia, CA; and BayTec Engineering in Napa, CA which worked in the bio-tech field.
Ken holds a 9th Degree black belt in the Korean Hap Moosa Ki-Do martial art; a 9th Degree black belt in the Yong Chul-Do martial art; and an 8th Degree black belt in the Korean Tae Kwon-Do martial art – all of which are Grand Master rankings. Ken is a Knight Commander of the most illustrious Triangle Order, Knight Commander of the venerable Castro Order, and Saint “Serve and Protect of the Castro Beat” of the Order of The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. He has also been recognized regularly for his indefatigable community work by the State of California, the City and County of San Francisco Board of Supervisors, the San Francisco Fire Department NERT program, the San Francisco Police Department, the San Francisco District Attorney and many other governmental and community entities.
Ken is also heavily involved in many other community service activities:
Ken lives and works in San Francisco in the Rincon Hill neighborhood with his husband, Paul, whom he met in 1997. Ken & Paul were married at San Francisco City Hall on October 30, 2008 just slipping in under the wire before the contentious Proposition 8 passed two days later which stopped same sex marriage in California. Ken became a naturalized U.S. Citizen on August 15, 2012.