JOIN THE TEAM
Our volunteers come from all walks of life including retired members, full time employed individuals and both full and part time students. They also come from all over the San Francisco and Bay Area, so you don’t have to live in the neighborhood to volunteer with us. In fact, about 70% of our Patrollers actually live outside of the neighborhood.
You don’t need any special skills, knowledge, or abilities to join us. We will provide full training in order to prepare you to join our Patrol Teams when they go out on patrol. We will also provide you with the equipment you need while you are on patrol, and you will always patrol with at least two other team members.
Patrolling is fun, productive, and worth-while for everyone. We only ask that you commit to a minimum of one 3 hour patrol each month or 12 patrols per year. You can select which nights work best for you, and you can even arrange to go out on patrol with friends, family, or loved ones if they are also qualified patrol members.
Minimum requirements for CCOP Patrol Volunteers are:
- You must be at least 18 years of age (no upper limit applies)
- You must be able to comply with our CCOP Volunteer Code of Conduct & Ethical Principles Policy
- You may not have been convicted of a Felony, or a violence or theft related misdemeanor.
- You must be able to walk continuously for up to 3 hours
- You must be able to hold a cell phone, radio, and flashlight
- You must have a good enough command of English in order to communicate with emergency dispatchers, emergency responders and members of the public
If you meet the above requirements, please pre-register to join our next Patrol Volunteer basic training class shown to the right.
(NOTE: You are NOT committed to patrolling by attending any of our training classes. We certainly hope you will, but patrolling is certainly not for everyone and we understand that. The best patrollers, are those who want to be there for the right reasons.)
Basic training for all CCOP Patrol volunteers involves reading a Basic Training manual which is sent electronically, attending a 2 hour in-class instruction course held via ZOOM during the COVID-19 Pandemic, then completing four (4) supervised patrols within six (6) months of passing the Basic Training class. At this time, we are setting Zoom training dates “on demand” when it works best for new volunteers and our training staff. Simply register using the link below, and we will contact you to arrange a 2-hour training date and time.
Click Here To Register for CCOP Training
Additional training opportunities are provided throughout the year which is available at no cost to all Patrollers and includes:
- First Aid / CPR / AED Certification
- Basic Self-Defense Techniques & Concepts
- NARCAN training
- Community Safety Volunteer training
Advanced training opportunities are also provided to more experienced Patrollers in order to advance them in rank to Senior Patroller status.