A Bay Area Reporter article by Seth Hemmelgarn notes that a 68 year old man was attacked and robbed at 18th Street and Castro Street at 2am on Thursday April 3, 2014.
The victim was approached from behind and punched in the face by the suspect, described as a black male aged 30-35 years. The suspect stole the victims wallet in the robbery. The victim suffered swollen and lacerated lips as a result of the assault. At this time, no arrest has been made in the case.
If you witnessed this assault and robbery, or if you know anything related to this case or the possible suspect, please contact Mission Police Station at 415-558-5400, or you may use the anonymous tip line at 415-575-4444 or you can text a tip to TIP411. The incident case number is 140 276 078.
While the Castro neighborhood is generally safe, some simple precautions are prudent especially when out alone, or at night.
- Stay aware of your surroundings at all times, especially at night.
- Try to avoid walking alone at night, especially on isolated or dark streets. Walk with a friend, or get a taxi, or use a service such as “HomoBiles.”
- If you see someone, or something, suspicious or out of place, report it to police.
- Carry a safety whistle and one of the new pocket sized LED flashlights at all times, but especially at night.
- Check out our web site for additional safety information and resources at https://www.castropatrol.org/